The development of Recommended Practices is the primary reason for the existence of TMC Study Groups and Task Forces. It is through the development of Recommended Practices that TMC provides technology solutions for the trucking industry.
The first Recommended Maintenance Practices Manual was unveiled in December 1973, and the first practice—RP 101, “Heavy Duty Alternator Mounting”—remains in the manual today, although it is now joined by more than 400 other recommended practices.
Your TMC membership provides you with access to our two-volume Recommended Practices (RP) Manual, which includes both the Recommended Maintenance Manual and Recommended Engineering Practices Manual, which helps members address the critical technology and maintenance issues that have the greatest impact on truck fleets. The Recommended Practices Manual is an unequaled reference for maintenance personnel, technicians, engineers and suppliers.
TMC’s Recommended Maintenance Practices are voluntary practices that assist equipment users, vehicle/component manufacturers and other industry suppliers in the maintenance of commercial vehicles.
TMC’s Recommended Engineering Practices are voluntary practices that assist equipment users, vehicle/component manufacturers and other industry suppliers in the design, specification, construction and performance of commercial vehicle equipment.
TMC Recommended Practices Library Links
- RP 443, In Cab Cleaning & Deodorizing Guidelines
- TMC Draft on Use of Chlorine Dioxide as Cab Cleaner as Part of Ongoing Update of RP 443 (Work in Progress)
- Tech Bulletin on Use of Cab Cleaner Chlorine Dioxide (Prepared by CLO2 Remedies, Inc.; Provided As Supplemental Information. TMC Does Not Endorse Any Organization and This Posting Should Not Be Construed as an Endorsement)
- 2019 TMC Recommended Practices Supplement
- 2018-2019 Recommended Practices Manual (Complete Integrated Set) **PREFERRED WEB-BASED ACCESS METHOD**
- 2018-2019 TMC RP Manual Complete Set (Downloadable PDF, Need Acrobat 7.0 or higher & TMC logon)
- How TMC Recommended Practices Are Developed
- 2017 TMC Recommended Practices Supplement
- 2016-2017 TMC Recommended Maintenance Practices
- 2016-2017 TMC Recommended Engineering Practices
- RP Download Library Link Including Driveline (RP 657) and Fuel Economy (RP 1118) Calculators
RP Descriptions (PDF)
Click here to see a description of each Recommended Practice that appear in the current edition of TMC’s Recommended Practices Manual.
TMC RP Video
See how your peers are using TMC RP’s to guide their maintenance practices.
Q&A with Bob Allen, vice president of maintenance, Danny Herman Trucking
When Bobby Allen, vice president of maintenance at Danny Herman Trucking, received a maintenance call about one of the more than 66,000 power units he supervises, he automatically, reaches for one of several Technology & Maintenance Council's recommended maintenance practices.
There's no point in reinventing the wheel, he says. "Anytime a maintenance issue comes up, I reach for the appropriate RP that is never further than my laptop. It's one of the many membership benefits of TMC," Allen says. A long-time member of TMC, Allen believes the peer-reviewed research behind each RP gives him the benefit of the most comprehensive, accurate information he needs to make the best-informed equipment decisions.